Credentials Related to Dog Training and Pet Tracking
Life-long dog-lover and guardian with:
• certification as a CPDT-KA (“Certified Behavior Consultant Canine – Knowledge Assessed”) from the Certification Council for Professional Dog Trainers.
• experience in positive training, behavior modification (especially anxiety and reactivity), tracking (human and animal) training, and fostering rescue dogs.
• experience with private obedience and behavior modification clients.
• experience in and a continuing commitment to volunteering with the Washington Humane Society, initially in training and now in tracking.
• experience pet tracking and training tracking dogs with professional pet tracker Sam Connelly of Pure Gold Pet Tracking, as well as pet tracking with my own tracking dog.
TRAINING AND BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION EXPERIENCE
Individual obedience training and behavior modification beginning in 2009 with 6 months of fostering (live-in, constant interaction with) a year-old pit bull. She learned dozens of commands and other words in English and French. Helped her gain discipline and impulse control to prepare her for adoption.
6 years of continuous obedience training, 3 of behavior modification (for dog-dog reactivity), and 3 of initial tracking training with Leah, my own current, adopted dog. In addition to the requirements of her tracking job (including continuous training), Leah knows dozens of commands and over 100 words (/ phrases / names, etc.).
Internship with Gwen Podulka and Heather Morris of Spot-On Training, primarily co-teaching group classes. (See “Apprenticeships” section below).
Training dozens of dogs through private lessons, mainly individually but occasionally in pairs, in basic obedience training – including name recognition, touch targeting, recall, loose-leash walking, and other commands (sit, down, stay, watch, settle, leave it, find it, wait, off, etc.) and tricks using positive techniques (clicker training).
Helping with socialization and behavior issues such as crate- and house-training, mouthing, jumping, inappropriate chewing, excessive barking. Working primarily with dogs who have various forms of anxiety, specific fears/phobias, and reactivity (dog-human as well as dog-dog reactivity).
PET TRACKING EXPERIENCE
Assisted on more than a dozen tracks for my missing foster dog. 2010-2012.
Active involvement in searches for other lost dogs, including long-term searches, through starting blogs and Google maps, flyering, conducting internet outreach, and advising. 2011-present.
Tracks of missing pets with my own tracking dog. 2013-August 16, 2017.
Gwen Podulka, CPDT-KA, and Heather Morris, CPDT-KA, of Spot-On Dog Training. Gained experience by coteaching classes (reactive dog class, puppy manners, adolescent manners, bully breed manners, etc.); helped with private sessions; and supervised puppy playdates. 2012-2014.
Sam Connelly of Pure Gold Pet Tracking. Tracking lost dogs and cats and learning about scent and tracking in general as well as lost pet behavior. 2011-present. Also learned the basics of training tracking dogs through our joint tracking training of my own dog. 2012-present.